If you feel as though you are a victim of cyberbullying, you can follow these steps to protect yourself:
- Tell a trusted adult about what is going on.
- Save any of the related emails, texts, or messages as evidence.
- Keep a record of incidents.
- Report the incident to the website’s administrator; many websites including Facebook and YouTube encourage users to report incidents of cyberbullying.
- Block the person on social networks and in email.
- Avoid escalating the situation: Responding with hostility is likely to provoke a bully. Depending on the circumstances, consider ignoring the issue. If you or your child receives unwanted email messages, consider changing your email address.
These tips were provided by the National Cyber Security Alliance.